Ok I admit I am really going out on a limb here. Normally I would not put these photos up, because I would wait until I could see I was actually going to have a chance at having good babies before any "agony of defeat" would be allowed to set in privately never mind all over my blog! But I'm throwing caution to the wind and you can go along on the roller coaster ride with me! This would be the second female bred by the Marron male, the first being a small VPI Caramel Albino. I ultrasounded her yesterday and there are babies on the horizon (I think +- 40 days). But this was my dream pair, and I have posted photos of this Pink Panther female and the Marron male breeding over the past month. I have not a clue whether this will fly-the timing is everything rule really applies for these boas. The first female was ready to go earlier so I had to get the male in there before I had a chance to focus on this female, which was my original intention. This girl kind of hung on and we will see if the timing worked or not. Now that we have ovulation there is no going back-the story is written-we just have to wait until she sheds to see if we have hope for good babies.
For the moment though let's look at the good and forget about the end result. First and formost, all snakes look great. The Marron male is back in his home cage, opaque and as soon as he sheds he will resume feeding. His condition is excellent, his body weight is great-frankly this snake doesn't look like he has expended any effort in the reproductive process at all. I am thrilled! Number one goal of all of this: all animals remain in immaculate condition. If for any reason stress were to affect an animal, I would pull the animal from any breeding situation. The health and well being of any animal supercedes any breeding result.
Project number two is a total longshot, but at least there might be some value for the female getting used to being in with a male. The Marron male would be more likely to be ready before the female Marron, so I would not be surprised if she did not go until next year. Having said that, upon checking with the ultrasound I saw good sized follicles so opted to take a proven male and see if we could get some Marron het Sharp Albino babies.
This male has been with the female all during the time she was opaque and shedding. Now he just shed and is the most interested in her I have seen. We have quite a way to go to see what happens with this pair. We should have babies from the Marron x VPI Caramel Albino just when we find out what is going on with the Marron female x Sharp Albino male. Patience is the key to doing Boas!