04/14/11 THE VPI 66% HET CHALLENGE!
It would have been easy to pair the 66% het Caramel Albino females up with Caramel Albino males. But as the people who know me well, well know, I do not tend to take the "easy" route doing almost anything. I tend to be pretty slow and deliberate. This project probably exemplifies that behavior fairly accurately. The purpose for me of breeding boas-is not simply to get babies to sell. It is to make the best babies that will serve to make sure that these projects go on well beyond what VPI does, and into the next generation.
The 66% het females were from within the original lineage of the VPI Caramel Albino project. That means they were descended from het x het crosses that were descended from the original pair of snakes that produced the first Caramel Albino female. My goal was to now produce totally unrelated male animals to breed to these 66% females.
In order to accomplish this goal I needed to breed our totally unrelated male Caramel Albino (which was found as a baby import) and breed this animal to another unrelated female. This would make 100% het males I could raise up and breed to the 66% het females to prove them out. Believe me it would have been a ton easier to just grab up some original VPI Caramel albino males and get this done. But what fun would that be-way too easy! And honestly I really wanted to outbreed the boas to this unrelated male line. Now when I got this idea I had the 66% baby females, but I hadn't even put the unrelated male Caramel Albino in with an unrelated female, so at this point I was already one year behind the 66% females. But since you really have a year lag time between when a female is ready to breed and a male is ready, it seemed just fine on that level, meaning I hadn't lost any time, because it would take an extra year for the females to mature anyway.
So back I went to produce my 100% unrelated het males to breed and prove out the 66% het females. The good news is I got a whole new group of unrelated 100% het females with those males and that was a nice bonus!
So it went and as the years went by my little participants began to grow.