The top 10 reasons why we are asking you to take five minutes and click on the USARK link below and send your letter! (We could do way more than 10, but we are just going to start with these…
1)We are asking at the minimum all of our friends here in the U.S. do this. This affects US and international business for any American business!
2) All the projects on these and other species that could soon find their way on these ban lists worked on for decades by breeders all over the U.S. and world, if they can't cross state lines or international borders they are frozen in place. Imagine doing that to much touted Island Iguana projects where "to safeguard against long-term extinction and to increase genetic diversity, several zoos in the United States have begun captive breeding programs for this species." We endorse all that great work, but even if zoos are exempt from every law in the land, zoos alone could not possibly save the entire planet's reptile and amphibian biodiversity.
3) Do you really think this is going to stop with these 10 species....?!
Not convinced? Let's take a look at the newest chart published on page 129, the first page of Chapter 7, titled “Other Species at Risk of Becoming Established in the United States” in Dorcas, M. E., and J. D. Willson. 2011. Invasive Pythons in the United States. University of Georgia Press, Athens and London.
"SEVEN SPECIES OF PYTHONS AND BOAS THAT ARE EITHER ESTABLISHED OR AT RISK OF BECOMING ESTABLISHED AS INTRODUCED SPECIES IN THE UNITED STATES"
1) BURMESE PYTHON
2) AFRICAN ROCK PYTHON
3) BOA CONSTRICTOR
4) GREEN ANACONDA
5) YELLOW ANACONDA
6) RETICULATED PYTHON
7) BALL PYTHON"
See how easy it was for these authors to just type the word BALL PYTHON onto the list?
Now they say there is a "Big snake" issue AND a "small snake" issue.
4) Imagine them telling automobile companies because of the mortality rate and potential danger involving cars (not to mention the cost to the environment manufacturing them and disposing of them) they can only sell cars in Michigan, no one can come to Michigan to buy a car, if you have a car you can't drive out of the state, you can only sell your car in your state, and you can't buy any more ca...rs if none are manufactured in your state! Dealerships can only sell what they have left on their lots as soon as the rule is passed and they can't get any more cars because they can't cross state lines to deliver them. Oh and if you get caught driving a car across state lines it is a felony. Really?
5) Because there are a ton of men and women in the military who love this hobby and who have given a big portion of their lives defending our country and the one thing they have looked forward to and may help them get back on their feet economically as well as physically and emotionally is in danger of being banned. Not to mention the increasing number of women who are doing this as a hobby and or business, which enables them to have a way to enter the field of science getting into teaching, research, academics, business or simply be able to spend more time with at home with their children.
6) This generation’s code words “Biodiversity” and “Green Planet”? Really? With no animals?? Conservation of captive populations is increasingly important by the day.
7) 100 million dollar threshold? FedEx, Delta Air Cargo, UPS, Home Depot, hotels, restaurants, airline travel, venues, and that is only the service industry part, not animals or equipment part.
8) Do you really want your kids having no exposure to animals except digital images on the t.v. computer or print media?
9) High school—check! College—check! Graduate school—check! Develop a career—check! Spend almost every day building a business—check! Put all your heart, soul, energy, and every dollar you have into it—check!... If a business legitimately fails it fails. However, to have businesses be functioning for decades and then regulate them out of business without the decision being made on even close to a level playing field....
10) Because you without any input from us feel that this is not the appropriate rule and that you want to see alternative suggestions and real solutions to dealing with any wildlife issues be it in the United States or anywhere in the world. This world, the one with 7 billion people in it.
World Population Clock: 7 Billion People -
World population has reached 7 billion on October 31, 2011. World population live counter with data sheets, graphs, maps, and census data regarding the current, historical, and future world population figures, estimates, growth rates, densities and demographics..
Here's the the most recent message from USARK with the link also at the bottom of the message:
Take Action Today; Federal Python BAN
If you value your ability to keep reptiles please take action today!
USARK is engaged in trying to motivate a MASSIVE letter writing campaign to defeat the Constrictor Rule that would add 9 constricting snakes to the Injurious Wildlife list of the Lacey Act. If this rule is enacted by US Fish & Wildlife Service over 1 million American citizens could be subject to felony prosecution under the Lacey Act. This is SERIOUS! Don't let this happen.
A campaign to urge President Obama and Congressional Members to turn this fundamentally flawed Rule back was initiated by USARK last Thursday. Currently there have been a little over 16,000 letters generated by the Reptile Nation to President Obama to examine the arbitrary and capricious actions of some members of US Fish & Wildlife Service in their zeal to secure hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars to study pythons.
We need more than 25,000 letters. This could destroy thousands of American families and small businesses to the tune of about $103 million a year. It is a matter of public record that FWS has avoided mandatory information quality standards and due process in their hunt for federal funding. DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN!
Send President Obama a letter voicing your opposition to the Python Ban Today! Then send this email to your family and friends! WE NEED MORE LETTERS!!!! 25,000 is the GOAL... DO IT NOW!!!
***Make sure you follow the instructions until you recieve a confirmation that your letters were sent. Don't stop until you have been prompted that you have completed the form and your letter has been sent.***